Routing all the cables to the mobo.
What you’ll build
This tutorial will take you through the process of wiring all of the various motors, limit switches, etc. to an Index Motherboard.
Your final Index will be ready for connection to OpenPNP. It will look similar to the following:
TODO: Insert Some Pictures of Index
What you’ll learn
- How to connect and install the electronic components of the Index
What you’ll need
CautionThe project is under active development and not all materials will be in sync. Please ensure that you’ve done some research to ensure you select the appropriate model, BOM, hardware, firmware and software combination.
- an mechanically complete Index
- an assembled Index Motherbord
The following tools are needed to build the Index.
- 2mm Allen Key
Tips & Tricks
When assembling the Index, the following tips will help the process go more smoothly.
- Clean up your 3D prints well. Make sure that you have removed any support material, and have cleaned up the edges of any holes. Test that you can fit the V-Slot or machine screw for a specific part into the hole.
- Deburr the aluminum profile at the ends. Then it’s easier to put parts together.
- Positioning Slot Nuts can be a bit of a challenge. A simple way to get them into the right place is to use gravity to get them close, and then use either the long end an allen key or a pair of fine tipped tweezers to push or pull them to the exact position.
- Inserting Belts can be easier if you move the gantry you’re inserting the belt into to the middle of the rail it is on and then as you insert the belt, move it away from the side you want the belt to come out from. The v-slot will catch the belt and once you’ve moved the gantry a little bit, you will be able to catch the belt. Passing a belt through a belt slot from the inner side can be easier if you place an exacto knife blade at the back side of the slot and butt the belt against that while drawing it up through the slot.
- Press Fit Nuts are used in several places. If your printer tolerances make it so these nuts don’t stay in you can use a piece of tape over the back to hold them in temporarily.
Connecting all the various electrical connections.
Connecting all the cameras used for the vision system.
Flash Marlin onto the motherboard.